Causes of constipation include:
– Dehydration – kidney dz, diabetes….
– Megacolon – colon stops being able to contract
– Previous Pelvic fracture, tumor – something causing narrow pelvic canal, colon or anus
– arthritis/anal gland disease/other painful condition causing a reduced desire to defaecate + so builds up + dries out
– Something abnormal in stool – bone, hair…
– Stress – not enough litter boxes, nowhere to toilet….
Treatment can involve:
– Lactulose is a laxative
– Adding fibre can help with colon health + improve contractions (Conversely, some cats respond better to a low fibre diet)
– Hydration is key! find out more here – https://youtu.be/OehD3s8vIgU
– Make sure enough litter trays and cat can easily access them
– Exercise can help mobilize stool and treat/prevent constipation
– Be sure to treat any other conditions
Get your question answered at http://dralexanswers.com
Check out all my free downloads and resources: https://ourpetshealth.com/resources
Subscribe to the channel: https://goo.gl/CRZKwq
– all opinions are my own, sponsors are acknowledged. Links in description are typically affiliate links that let you help support the channel at no extra cost.
– We are a participant in the Amazon Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
– Music from Jukedeck – create your own at http://jukedeck.com
– The information is provided for educational and entertainment purposes only and does not constitute specific vet advice for any individual cat, dog or other animal of any species.
for more information head over to OurPetsHealth.com